Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Temporary Pause

After a very long time of debating I have finally selected a rear spoiler, that being the S203 version even though my skin crawls at the very mention of replica. I can't do anything about that in this case. Things I hope to accomplish with this spoiler: Aesthetically, I hope to lower the profile of the car while refining its performance edge. A similar exercise in practicality can be seen in the M3, a car that screams race to all the right people; well maybe not all the right people given the occasionally questionable nature of that models ownership but the car isn't to blame for that. Additionally the spoiler should serve as an acknowledgement for the Nisei metal I have always loved, models which have always been distinguished by a less is more exterior. Also I intend for this lower deck spoiler to serve as a kind of optical illusion for the wheels, forcing them to look slightly larger while staying in the 17 inch range. Performance wise, the spoiler should be very light itself, as it is a third the size of stock. For mounting, I will use a Varis carbon trunk. This should equal around 20 pounds off the rear of the car, I will have exact measurements when I have the parts.

To bring weight loss up to date, I have now removed the spare tire, jack, and tools from the trunk:
-STi Spare Tire – 30.5 [30.5 – 0.0]
-STi Spare Tire Jack - 4.75 [4.75 – 0.0]
-STi Tool Set - 1.5 [1.5 – 0.0]

This comes to 36.75 lbs out of the trunk; for free. Which brings total pounds off the car to 124.95 lbs and the car itself down to 3173.05 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment