Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Weight Of Whats To Come

Again life has changed a lot since my last post. At the forefront of these changes are lies the incredible blessing that my darling wife Ashley is pregnant and well that of course changes everything. I couldn't be happier. We are going to be parents, I"m gonna be a dad. It's all so surreal. It's all so full of grace. I suppose our general plan right now is to chug along with the house, find a new builder, and see if we can add a second story without too much disdain from the architectural review board. Or there is another house lurking around this neighborhood thats a bit charming. But thats getting a little far down the line for right now. Of course this has a pretty sizable impact on what I want to with my car, and what I should do with the car. But for the best it has really helped me be more objective. I figure I have three options right now. First, I can keep the Subaru and make it a little friendlier daily driver. The Cusco coilovers will go, maybe even the exhaust for something quitter. I'm cool with this plan, I see it as a chance to add a little reason and sustainability to the project. The second option would be downsizing to a less expensive platform. Sell or trade the STi, pick up an s13 240, an ae86, dc2, something fun thats cheap, reliable, has rear seating, and lower taxes and upkeep than the Subaru which wouldn't be hard. Plus I would have money to add to savings. Then there is the third plan, the dual car route. I could sell the STi, buy an honest commuter car, something with amazing reliability, low cost, and a solid manual transmission. Put a chunk of money in savings and use the rest to buy a project, almost certainly a Datsun Z or 510. I've never really opened up to the dual car life, but I see the practicality there, the ease of not worrying your project is going to get hit in the parking lot or something stupid, not having to pay for nice gas and tires on something you are driving everyday, etc. And the Datsun would be justifiable to own, lets just talk about registration and tag for around 8 dollars, yeah take that to the 100 I just paid. All good food for thought but I still have a lot of prayer to wade through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment