Saturday, January 24, 2009

Realizations and Improvements

By this stage in the build, I had come to the important realization that building a car because it is what you may want and because it is what people want to see is a very poor way of executing a project. As my driving skill developed, the car proved more and more competent and thus translated to the hands much faster. It was now time to correct some modifications done in preparation for a big turbo/intercooler setup, starting with the intake system. I sold off the Injen setup in favor of a combination of parts starting with the Prova/Eifel Carbon Air Duct, then the ARC Intake, and finally a Zero/Sports hardpipe rounding things out. The entire system follows the concept of factory while focusing on larger diameters and across the board response. While I lost 3awhp [296awhp from 299awhp] as well as 2awtq [324awtq from 326awtq] the more important issue is that both curves increased significantly for the work done. The car gained power in reality, spooling almost 400rpm earlier and rather than peaking, the power band held around 1700rpm longer, thus making the overall feel of the car both stronger and more consistent. This round of modifications was topped off with some aesthetic parts, JDM Door Garnishes and Rain Guards as well as a Chargespeed Type 1 Carbon Front Lip. I was set to have learned from my mistakes and not aim so high at this point, but I needed a more competent suspension setup and I was getting antsy to switch out wheels I had taken advantage of for wheels I really wanted. The car looked a bit off with the ride height being too low now that the lip was on, and the five spokes were not flowing as well as they could with some of the other body changes.  Time for stage 2. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment